On the eve of a business trip across the border to Toronto, Canada (pronounced without the second "T" by natives), we've received a timely Q&A from a Canadian reader seeking shopping options in Quebec and beyond. Canada is home to several big box and independent brick and mortar shops as well as eCommerce providers. Here are a few we recommend. Have you shopped with any of these retailers? If so, we'd be happy to hear your experience.
Q&A ~"I've just discovered your site and thank you for your time and effort. I'm a portly shaped 6 foot tall black man from Canada. I work as a pastor in a small town with the church. I have been trying a relaxed look, sports jacket, dark jeans and sneakers because I want to be portrayed as a young and serious guy. However, I'm not sure I'm accomplishing my goal.
I'm willing to make a change but I don't know where to start. Would you have some advice? I don't know where to find a good tailor. What stores do I go to? I'm willing to buy a nice pair of shoes but where and how much? Where do I get started in my city?"
1. Bespoke/Made to Measure ~Several providers of bespoke and made to measure clothing in traditional and modern techniques using the best materials available with their individual and unique view on style, taste, and fashion all with the goal of appropriately dressing the egos and shoulders of Canada's elite.
2. Boutique ~Multiple Locations A rundown of independent small businesses and hole-in-the-wall shops providing a unique aesthetic, hard to find brands, or private label products.
3. eCommerce Custom Shirts ~Surmesur An online custom clothier recommended by some of the most respected consultants and personal shoppers in Canada.
4. Footwear ~Leatherfoot Canada's most respected footwear provider carrying some of the most world-renowned bespoke, MTO and RTW makers including John Lobb, Carmina, Rider Boots, St Crispin's, and J.Fitzpatrick.
5. Department Store ~Harry Rosen A Canadien institution of style for men since the mid 1950's. Family owned and operated, this department store is the go-to staple for off the rack shoppers who have discerning taste.
6. eCommerce ~Frank & Oak Established in this decade Frank & Oak provides menswear essentials at an affordable $50. sign up, subscribe and get access to the limited collections.
7. eCommerce Accessories ~Dolbeau An eCommerce accessories shop which has expanded from lively printed ties to pocket squares and other sundries.